Translate

3.26.2012

Natural Hair Journey: Staple Products

I'm excited about this post because it was requested by one of you! A reader left a comment on my avocado deep conditioning post, asking if I could list the products I use. The list below is more like a list of my favorite products that I've tried, and I'll indicate my staples (products that I never want to be without) with a "*". I love natural hair and look forward to sharing more about my on-going journey. If you're interested in learning about my exact hair care regimen (what I actually do to my hair and how often), feel free to comment below. I'm happy to help!
Freshly washed hair

I must say that the list I'm about to provide is not at all complete. For one, I'm still looking for the right products for the look I want (I'll keep you up to date as I try them-in fact, I'll be posting one of my newest additions soon). Also, I'm not going to list all the products I've ever tried because to be honest, I don't use allot of them anymore for a number of factors.  Some of them are no longer available, some are too expensive, and allot of them are not in line with where I'm at right now. By that, I mean many of those products have ingredients that I won't publicly endorse like synthetic silicones, mineral oil, parabens, and other crazy chemicals that I can't even pronounce! Honestly, this list will change allot over time because as I get deeper into minimalism, I realize that I want to streamline my products and focus on more multi-use and organic products. 

I would also like to refer you to some sites, which are 100% about natural hair and the politics surrounding it, and have helped me allot during the first year of my natural hair journey. I love Curly Nikki, Moptop Maven (no longer active), and College Curlies, Two other sites that are really popular in the natural hair community are Black Girl with Long Hair and Afrobella. There are also a ton of informative youtube videos! With that said, I want to give you all an exclusive! I'm going to start recording youtube videos too. You'll be the first to know when that happens!
Slicked back bun

Favorite Products: *make sure to click on the links for my BLOG POSTS about each product*
Shampoos:
Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo
*Gentler cleansing mixture: Apple Cider Vinegar+distilled water+green tea
Conditioners:
*Giovanni Deeper Moisture Conditioner
Oils:
*Vatika Oil (Coconut oil enriched with Ayurvedic herbs)
*Castor Oil
*Jojoba Oil
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Tea Tree Oil
Deep Conditioners and Treatments:
Giovanni Deeper Moisture Conditioner (moisturizing)
*Henna (protein)
*Bentonite Clay (deep cleansing)
Leave-in Conditioners and Moisturizers:
*Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Baobab Thickening Conditioner
*Donna Marie Curling Cream
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Butters:
*Organic West African Shea Butter (usually with oils and aloe vera gel added to it)
Gels:
Aloe Vera Gel (directly from the plant)

Click here for my hair regimen.


What products do you use on your natural hair?

Stay Engaged,
N




Follow Naïka on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Cool. your products are allot healthier than my beauty supply store buys! i'm interested in seeing your regimen if you wouldn't mind. thanks!
    -Sagine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sagine, Thanks for commenting! I feel you on the BSS products though. That used to be my spot for buying all those chemical laden products filled with mineral oil and other crazy things. BUT it's all about taking baby steps. Maybe try a different shampoo or conditioner that's more natural and go from there.

    I'll definitely post my regimen in the next few weeks! That'll actually be one of my first few youtube videos! Stay tuned :)

    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very beautiful blog here. Keep up the good work.
    http://abeautifullittleblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Simply%20Polished

    ReplyDelete