Translate

4.07.2012

Save Money-Eat Healthy: Buy Fruits & Vegetables According to Season!

Eating healthy does not have to cost allot of money. It's something we hear allot for whatever reason, but it's not true!  I recently read a great article on Organic Beauty Vixen about eating healthy for under $20/week. It's totally possible! Ever since juicing for the past few weeks, I've been amazed at how affordable eating healthy can be, especially when you buy fruits and vegetables that are in season! My bill for my first round of produce was an astounding $80, and it only lasted for about 5 days.  But after doing research, I went back to the supermarket, bought in season and spent $30 and the food lasted for 1 week.  I should note that I was spending so much money on produce because juicing uses up allot of fruits and vegetables, since only the juice is extracted and the meaty fiber is excluded. It only makes sense that the fruits and vegetables that are in most abundance would be the most affordable and accessible.  So I wanted to compile a short list of some of the fresh produce that is currently in season (April)!

Fruits:
Pineapples:

Mangos (favorite!):


Oranges:

Papaya:

Berries:


Vegetables:
Beets (my FAVORITE):
Zucchini:
Asparagus:

Spring peas:

Broccoli:
Dandelion greens:
Leeks (end of season):
Sweet Onion:
Turnips:
Watercress:



Yum!
Happy shopping!

Stay Engaged,
N
Follow Naïka on Twitter