We Haitians need to get moving and start harvesting and exporting this plant, which grows so abundantly in our own backyard....
Until then, you can purchase this plant, most commonly sold as "Miracle Leaf" in the U.S at a variety of health food stores. We have never bought it because we have our own fey lougawou plant at home! (In case you haven't realized by now, we have lots and lots of plants in my home! My mom has that green thumb)! Pictured below is our "baby" fey lougawou plant, planted about 2 months ago. The mother plant is massive and is enjoying the sun outside...
|My Fey Lougawou Plant|
- bryophillin A and C- anticarcinogenic
- anti-bacterial, anti-rheumatic, anti-hypertensive
- used to treat upper respiratory infections
- can cure a variety of body aches
- According to Ayurveda, it can cure hemorrhoids, wounds cuts, ulcers, etc.
- most known for reducing high blood pressure
- to eliminate cataracts and styes, boil some of the leaves in water and squeeze the juice in affected areas
- to eliminate headaches and body aches, heat leaves and place on forehead
- for a relaxing foot soak, place a few leaves in a basin filled with hot water, adding essential oils for an extra oomph!
Know your treasures.
The "Haitian Treasures" series explores the magnificent benefits and uses of Haiti's natural resources, which I call "Haitian Treasures" because they are truly national gems. Naïka in Balance is the premiere source for information on the tie between Haiti's natural resources and natural, traditional, and holistic healing.
Learn about other Haitian Treasures explored on this blog here!
*Medical Disclaimer: Though Naïka of Naïka in Balance is in pursuit of a medical degree, she is NOT a licensed health practitioner.
Naïka believes individuals have the power to make informed health decisions on their own. If you feel that it is necessary to consult your healthcare provider before using any of the remedies mentioned, please do so. Knowledge is power and your health is your wealth.