Translate

3.24.2014

Naika's Playlist: Music I'm Loving Right Now

Finals are over! Praise God! Time to vibe out, work on cool projects, create, and share some "new" music.
Here are some tracks that have been dominating my iTunes!

1. DJ Gardy Girault's "Wake Me Up" Remix....as well as everything else he's ever produced.
Seriously. I attended his set during a Ram concert in Haiti in late December, and it was the highlight of my trip.  Seriously. And I've kind of fallen in love with all of his music since. I don't know what to say. There's just something about his musical aesthetic that I vibe with. It feels right. Maybe it's the fact that he inserts a bit of Haitian soul into everything he mixes; whether it's a well-known Haitian song with electronic beats mixed in or an American song remixed with Haitian musical elements, he breathes Haiti into all of his work, and that is always the right way to go in my book.
Anyway, Wake Me Up is without a doubt my favorite of his tracks. I play this song everywhere and for everyone; road trips, parties, study breaks. And everyone is like "Who is that?", and I'm like "Let me tell you!". It was the soundtrack of my winter. Check it out. It really is magical.




2. Staying on the Haitian wavelength, I have recently discovered "Simbi" by famous/awesome/amazing group Ram. Sure this song came out in 1992, when I was a mere 3 years old. But, I'm sure if I were to be of age at the time AND in Haiti, this song would be my everything.  If I were to be a cartoon and have my own animated series, this would, no doubt, be my intro song, just because. It's super chill and has good vibes.

 Hmm, maybe I should make an all Haitian future playlist next time....

3. "Elevators", by Outkast= everything. Apart from having a deep beat and sick flow, I think the lyrics are super interesting. It's a good story. My favorite verse:
"And he kept asking me, what kind of car you drive. I know you paid
I know y'all got buku of hoes from all them songs that y'all done made.

And I replied that I had been goin through the same thing that he had
True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me
To the end of the week
I live by the beat like you live check to check
If you don't move yo feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck"

Do you feel that? Like.....we're all dealing with shit and we're all hella connected. It's just so real.
Take a listen.

4. Beck's new album, Morning Phase, is all I need when I'm in one of my ethereal moods. Ya know? Just those deep, super emotional, vibey, relaxed moments when you're one with the universe. The whole album is brilliant. My favorite song is probably "Blue Moon". Close 2nd is " Cycle + Morning". Solid tracks that represent that album quite well.

5. So I love Jhené Aiko and I love her EP "Sail Out" as a collective. Like, it's really solid when played in whole. 
But, I think the song that is able to stand out on it's own really nicely is "Stay Ready/What a Life", which features Kendrick Lamar.
Now, I can write a love sonnet to good old Kendrick. I think he is absolutely brilliant. When he comes in at 1:25, my head bops when the beat drops.
Something about this song reminds me of Kendrick's "Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst", another extended track, or rather two tracks that somehow connect effortlessly into one masterpiece of a track. 
He and Jhené team up to make a great track. It sounds good. It feels good. It's a smart track.

Bonus!
"Energy", by Iman Omari. This is hands down my favorite track on Solange's latest musical effort "Saint Heron", a compilation of music by her amazing self, and other artists. I can also write a love sonnet to Solange. She is probably one of my 10 favorite people on the planet. And I just want to give her a high five for including this track. The saxophone insertions are to die for.
It feels so good. Super vibey. If you couldn't tell, I'm all about those vibes...#setthemood
Oh, and the music video. Perfect!


Enjoy!
Stay Engaged,
N


2 comments:

  1. Great post, I can't wait to read more post from you, I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for the compliment :)

      Delete