Translate

7.04.2016

What I Learned From My Time Back Home in NYC

I'm back home in New York. I can't believe I left this place for Seattle. The only thing that comforts me is knowing that I'll be back really soon- 361 days to be exact. New York can be incredibly overwhelming sometimes-so much to see, so much to do. But what it lacks in serenity and simplicity, it makes up for in inspiration and opportunity.

I've spent most of my time here connecting with friends and family-especially those I haven't seen in a while. I've also been immersed in the arts, revisiting my former organization Haiti Cultural Exchange, and connecting with a couple others. I've been savoring delicious food- homemade Haitian and Ghanaian cuisine to French gastropub, and everything in between.







I just adore this place and am so excited to come back to a community that nurtures me on so many levels. It was special interacting with people who knew me in a very specific way and at a very specific time, which was when I started this blog and was really for the first time deeply emerging myself in Haitian/Haitian-American culture, as well as holistic healing. I was new, fresh, and bright-eyed. Sometimes I wonder what would've happened to my career trajectory if I didn't go to medical school right away. Would I be blogging more regularly? Would I have more success? Would I have more fulfillment? It's not that I don't feel like I have those things now. It's just that I'm completely bogged down during my last year of medical school and sometimes feel like I'm missing out on...MORE. I know the type of life I want to live and the type of content I want to create and share....and even the type of practice I want to soon create :) It's just a struggle to do it all amidst the chaos. But I feel re-inspired and re-assured that it is indeed possible to create the life I envision.





In any case, it was really nice getting feedback from people on what they like about my Instagram pages- both my personal profile and my Haitian herbalism profile, as well as this blog. It felt nice to be appreciated for what I have to offer and to be reminded of who I really am.

All your comments, messages, and mentions are helping guide me on my path as I re-imagine my place in social media, in the healing world, and in life in general.


Here are a couple things that came up for me during my trip....
  1. We need different things at different times.
  2. People can change (thank God).
  3. Family is everything.
  4. Running from your problems won't solve them.
  5. Embrace your amazingness
  6. There's no such thing as a fundamentally good or bad person. We are all multi-layered and multi-dimensional. Our actions and how we treat others defines who we are.
  7. We are all hypocrites....who are trying our best
  8. Your community is important. They bring you back to yourself.
  9. Speak your truth
  10. Love is a choice, fortified by actions.
  11. I'm exactly where i need to be in this moment.


All shots can also be seen on my Instagram page.
Also make sure to follow my other instagram account, the Haitian Herbalist!

Stay engaged,
Naika

No comments:

Post a Comment