Translate

11.02.2016

My Name is Naïka

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."....or would it?

When I was a kid, I hated my name. I would ask my parents why they didn't name me something "normal",which of course meant Anglosaxan & "easy".
Honestly, growing up in NY, folks didn't really struggle with my name at all. Sure there were a couple of comments, but in general, our diverse community didn't think twice, nor have the hundreds of people I've interacted with in over 30+ countries.


But here in Seattle, Lord, I'm continually bombarded with ignorant comments-from everyone from supervisors to patients to strangers. Just TODAY I've had a supervisor ask me what my name is again (even though it is the 6th week of the quarter), a peer joke around about her tactic for remembering my name, a new patient tell me that she'll never bother to remember it, & another ask if there's something "easier" he could call me. Of course, I have my sharp responses to ALL those comments. And admittedly, I struggle in regards to offering people my nicknames. It's no secret that my loved ones call me Nikki, Kiki, Nayou, &more. And I love that. But they call me that because they love me and that's what we do in our culture(s) not because they are too ignorant and/or lazy to bother pronouncing my name properly.
My dad used to tell me not to trust anyone who can't pronounce my name. And my mom still tells me that anyone who doesn't have the time to pronounce my name properly doesn't deserve my time.
I'm reminded of a quote by Warsaw Shire;
"give your daughters difficult names. give your daughters names that command the full use of tongue. my name makes you want to tell me the truth. my name doesn’t allow me to trust anyone that cannot pronounce it right." 
At 27 years old, I must say that I LOVE my name.I love the way it looks written out.I love the way it sounds when guys whisper it in my ear.I love what it means (female warrior in one dialect)& I love that it is relatively unique...so much so that I cringe when I hear of other Naika's.I have trouble accepting that there can be more than one now. 😊
For those still struggling, my name is Naïka, pronounced Na-yee-ka. 3 syllables. Spelled with 2 dots on the "i".

Not hard.

Stay engaged,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment