Translate

3.13.2012

Jojoba Oil: Liquid Gold

Due to the popularity of Sunday's post, where I make a promise to talk about the ingredients in my avocado deep conditioning mix, I figured I would jump right into it and discuss one of the key ingredients, jojoba oil (pronounced ho-HO-ba).  Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax produced in the seed of the jojoba plant (Simmondsia chinenis), a plant which is native to Arizona, California, and Mexico.  I call jojoba oil liquid gold, not only because of it's multifaceted and glorious benefits, but also because its color is a clear golden one.


One of the most talked about benefits of jojoba oil is that it highly resembles the natural oil produced by our skin and hair, which is called sebum.  This is great because when our body absorbs jojoba oil, it mixes easily with our natural sebum, and this actually tricks the body into "thinking" that the jojoba oil is the sebum.  Consequently, the body will produce less sebum, which fortunately means less clogging, less acne, and more oil balance. #Winning.  Though jojoba oil is a little on the pricier side, it could be found in most beauty supply stores, health food stores, and of course online.  I like to buy the 100% natural form from Trader Joe's for about $6.

Here's a jojoba oil option on Amazon!


Benefits:
  • contains many micro elements, nutrients, and vitamins
  • is a natural anti-bacerial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory
  • can cure mild acne and get rid of various skin infections such as eczema, psoriasis, etc.
  • it is naturally non-comodegenic, so it won't cause irritation

Uses:
  • Moisturizer: I'm currently experimenting with natural and cheaper alternatives to lotion, particularly facial lotion. So far, jojoba oil has been a nice skin moisturizer because it doesn't evaporite like water-based moisturizers tend to and because it doesn't make my skin too oily
  • Make-up remover: This is my favorite way to use jojoba oil. I just put a few drops on a cotton swab to remove my make up.  Even though it takes longer to remove makeup with in comparison to a traditional make-up remover, jojoba oil is cheaper, more effective, and natural!
  • Sealant: For natural hair in particular, it is important to "seal" your hair with an oil or butter after moisturizing it with water or a water-based moisturizer. I like to use jojoba oil to seal sometimes because it is very light and makes my hair shiny
  • Scalp-massage: I mix jojoba oil with a few drops of tea tree oil as a scalp massage, which is quite popular for stimulating hair growth through increased blood circulation.  It is also one of the BEST natural remedies for dandruff
  • Carrier oil: I often use jojoba oil as a carrier oil in mixtures which involve essential oils, such as in my avocado deep conditioning mix


Have you ever tried jojoba oil?

Stay engaged,
N

Connect with me!


Medical Disclaimer: Naika, the writer of this blog, is Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist. Please do not take this as medical advice, without consulting your health care practitioner. Also remember, knowledge is power and your health is your wealth!