Translate

3.19.2012

The Multiple Uses of Tea Tree Oil: Hair and Skin

Tea tree oil is my absolute favorite essential oil (a concentrated liquid containing highly volatile aroma plant compounds).  Tea tree oil is obtained by steam distillation from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Australia.  It is colorless with a very strong odor that is somewhat herby and somewhat minty.  It has been used by the indigenous peoples of Australia as traditional medicine to treat colds and skin ailments for centuries.  Today, it is most commonly used as an essential oil in aromatherapy, alternative medicine and cosmetics.
Source
I first heard about tea tree oil on Youtube.  I had been having #naturalhairproblems for a while...on my scalp...also known as.... *whispers*.... dandruff.  Many people raved about the benefits of this essential oil, so I decided to purchase it after doing some research.  Eager to rid myself of my scalp issues, I applied the oil directly to my scalp and just left it there.  Within 5 minutes, my entire scalp was tingling! I got a little freaked out because I thought my hair follicles were perhaps getting too over-stimulated so I quickly rinsed the oil off of my hair.  Luckily, I was left with the most refreshed scalp EVER, with no dandruff.  Since then, I have learned that tea tree oil is very POTENT so I have come up with other...less intense...ways to reap the benefits of this oil, ranging from skin care to hair care and I just love it. 
Tea tree oil can be purchased in various drug stores and health food stores. 
Some Benefits:
  • naturally anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral, so it can cure hundreds of infections such as acne, warts, minor irritations, blisters, etc. (WOW)
  • can treat respiratory problems such as sore throats, coughs, asthma, tuberculosis (!), and bronchitis
  • strengthens the body's immunity
  • natural insecticide


Some Uses:
  • Scalp Massage: This is my favorite way to use tea tree oil.  I get a small application bottle, fill it up 3/4 full with jojoba oil, and add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil to the mix.  It is important for me to use a carrier oil (a widely available vegetable oil) like jojoba, coconut, or olive oil when using an essential oil like tea tree oil because it is very strong.  I apply the mixture to my scalp and massage it in for a few minutes.  I promise you will feel your scalp tingling and refreshed in seconds. Doing this has helped keep my scalp issues at bay. I have read that another way to control dandruff, as well as head lice with tea tree oil is to mix it with shampoo.
  • Preservative: Adding a few drops of any essential oil will help preserve cosmetic and health products.  Although I prefer more floral and musky scents for preservatives, tea tree oil is a great option.
  • Skin Toner: I mix a small spritz bottle with distilled water, green tea, and tea tree oil as a skin toner.  I apply the toner to my skin after I clean it and I find that the toner restores my skin's acidity and keeps my skin tone even.
  • Cold Remedy: My dad just did this to me a few weeks ago when I had a cold.  He filled a large pot with water and boiled it.  He added a few drops of tea tree oil, made me put my head over the pot, and covered my head and the bowl with a towel.  I inhaled the mix and it completely removed all of my mucus build up. I was stunned by the efficacy of my dad's little trick.


Please dish on your experiences with tea tree oil!



Stay Engaged,

N

Follow Naïka on Twitter



*Medical Disclaimer: Though Naïka of Naïka in Balance is in pursuit of a medical degree, she is NOT a licensed health practitioner. 
Naïka believes individuals have the power to make informed health decisions on their own. If you feel that it is necessary to consult your healthcare provider before using any of the remedies mentioned, please do so. Knowledge is power and your health is your wealth.


19 comments:

  1. This oil sounds great! I'm going to buy some now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI thanks for commenting! Let me know how you like it :) N

      Delete
    2. where can i get tea tree oil?

      Delete
  2. That's absolutely true , thank you for sharing these informations with the public , tea tree oil it's miraculous Essl oil ...... Especially for scalp problems ( dandruff ) and for cold too , it's pure natural ..... Stay away from chemicals as much as you can !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!
      Yes I love tea tree oil for all the reasons you listed :)
      stay engaged,N

      Delete
  3. Hi...thanks for all the information..how do i use tea tree oil for my scalp or to cure dandruff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there shruti! thanks for commenting.
      the way i use it for dandruff, is just mixing it with something like a few tablespoons of jojoba oil and massaging it on my scalp before i shampoo it out.
      hope that helps.
      stay engaged,
      N

      Delete
  4. Hello! I've had so many problems with an overly itchy and flaky scalp. Especialy on my hairline. Im thankful for your article out was very helpful!

    Would you happen to know how many times a week to apply the oil?

    As of now, ive used it once (directly onto my scalp using a bottle from my contact solution) and left in on overnight. Im not hurting my scalp am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your itchy and flaky scalp-that could be such a pain. The number of times you apply the oil depends on how often you wash your hair. For example, I wash my hair with shampoo once every 1-2 weeks, so that's how many times I would use this.

      If I were you, I would apply it twice a week most likely. Leaving the oil over night is fine, but make sure you are not putting the pure oil on your scalp. You should be diluting it in a carrier oil like olive or coconut oil and then washing it our.

      Let me know what ends up happening!

      side note- itchy scalp could be many things ranging from dandruff to inflammation. try to eat anti-inflammatory foods and stay away from inflammatory foods like sugar!

      Peace,N

      Delete
  5. I was told to try this....my question is how positive am i that it will help my my dandruff problem and I am using DooGro products will using this oil with my regular product affect my hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dayle,
      I don't think it will be a problem using the 2 together. If your DooGro products are causing you dandruff, it might be useless using this. If that's the case, then perhaps you can consider discontinuing the use of the DooGro product.
      Best wishes,
      N

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ajay! That's right. You shouldn't use this oil directly on your scalp. It is high in volatile oils and will burn your scalp. You can mix with carrier oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil Hope that helps!
      -N

      Delete
    2. Can you leave tea tree oil in your hair without shampooing it?

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I applied neem essential oil directly to scalp.
    Will it cause any problem to my hair in future?
    I am worried a lot because i did it many times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this are elements are very helpful screen and hair

    tea tree oil for hair

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was searching for tea tree oil remedies and came upon this link. So very happy I did because you’re so much more uses for Tea tree oil. I am all about holistic health and I’m really happy I found this thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does this this oil realy work, can some share with your experience?

    ReplyDelete