Translate

4.05.2012

Benefits & Uses of Lavender Oil

Lavender oil is a great essential oil that can be used for aromatherapy, alternative medicine, preservation, and beauty.  Lavender oil is a distillate of the species Lavandula angustifolia, and has a pleasant floral, clean and refreshing aroma.  It blends really well with a variety of other oils, which makes it very popular in the perfume industry.


I first purchased lavender oil because I was getting tired of the smell of tea tree oil.  I wanted to use an essential oil for sure, since they are known for being particularly good at improving blood circulation.  This is key for promoting a healthy scalp and increased hair growth.  One day, I was buying a product at my local beauty supply store and I saw a little bottle of lavender oil for about $7.00.  I took a quick smell and really liked it. So I bought it and tried it a few days later as a scalp massage. It was nice but  I definitely prefer tea tree oil as a scalp massage oil because it is more effective at regulating scalp health (fights dandruff and a variety of scalp problems), but I use lavender oil from time to time.  My favorite way to use lavender oil is as a preservative.  Whenever I'm making a home-made mixture, I put a few drops of lavender oil in it to preserve it and make it smell good.  Lavender oil can be purchased at Amazon and a variety of health food stores.

A great lavender oil from Amazon!




Some Benefits:
  • natural stress reducer and anxiety reliever
  • can soothe cuts, bruises, and skin irritation
  • helps common respiratory problems
  • can nourish the hair and scalp and prevent shedding
  • is an antiseptic and anti-fungal
  • can alleviate tension headaches
  • natural mosquito repellent (I will be using this during my travels!)
  • can induce sleep when inhaled
  • improves blood circulation, which is not only great for scalp care, but for reducing high blood pressure as well

Some Uses:
  • as a scalp massage; when I take a break from my usual jojoba oil + tea tree oil scalp mixture, I massage my scalp with jojoba oil + a few drops of lavender oil
  • add a few drops a vaporizer to treat coughs
  • use as a preservative in hair and skin care mixtures
  • add to carrier oils to make a massage oil mixture to relieve joint or muscle pains
  • rub on chest for the relief of spasms related to asthma or bronchitis
  • natural deodorant; add a few drops of lavender oil on a wet cloth or dryer sheet to freshen up your laundry
  • diffuse lavender oil to calm yourself

    Have you ever used lavender oil? Weigh in!

    Stay Engaged,
    N

    Connect with me!


    Medical Disclaimer: Naika, the writer of this blog, is Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist. Please do not take this as medical advice, without consulting your health care practitioner. Also remember, knowledge is power and your health is your wealth!