1. Preventative Care
Prevention is better than cure and there are definitely some preventative measures you can take to avoid itchy scalp!
- Avoid products with alcohol, preservatives, and chemicals!
- Use cool water when washing hair
- Moisturize your scalp with moisturizing oils
- Don't dry your scalp with a towel
- Pay attention to the quality of water you use to wash your hair. Not all tap waters were created equal!
- Protect your hair while swimming
2. Clean Your Scalp Properly
- Clarifying shampoo: Sometimes we underestimate the power of a good shampoo session with a high quality natural shampoo. It's important to use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to get rid of product buildup
- Apple Cider Vinegar: If you don't use shampoo and want a simpler way to clarify, consider applying 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 cup of distilled water to your scalp
- Baking soda: Just like the ACV rinse, mix a few teaspoons of baking soda with some water for a bit of a harsher natural cleanse
3. Scalp Massage
Scalp massages are my absolute favorite way to cure most scalp issues whether it be irritation, dandruff, or itchy scalp! Choose an oil that has particularly good anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties. Feel free to mix the oils up for an extra oomph! Here are some great options:
- Aloe Vera Gel- yes, I know it's not an oil but it has some great properties and it is naturally cooling and soothing
- Jojoba oil
- Lavender oil
- Tea Tree oil
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Castor oil
- Rosemary oil
- Chamomile herb- another one that's not an oil, but hey...boil 2 bags if this herb in oil and use as a scalp rinse!
4. Apply a Mild Anti-Septic
A good anti-septic is Witch Hazel. Weird name, I know. Dab a few drops on a cotton swab and wipe your scalp with it.
5. Change Your Diet
A diet re-evaluation is always good when you are trying to optimize your health. Stick to lots of veggies, especially leafy greens like spinach and kale. Eat foods rich in good fat such as salmon, tuna, avocado, and almonds.
Hope these tips work!